Sunday, November 29, 2009

Opinion: Uzbekistan trip makes religious-liberty concerns real


ABP) -- On a typical day, the July 29 Associated Baptist Press headline I read, “Uzbekistan charges Baptist camp with crimes,” would catch my attention, but quickly give way to other matters. However, this particular July 29 was no typical day, as I was preparing for a 12-day journey that was to include seven days in Uzbekistan. The itinerary included a meeting with Pavel Peychev -- the president of the Baptist Union of Uzbekistan, and one of three charged with tax evasion and illegally teaching religion to children as detailed in the article.

I traveled to Uzbekistan with a group of pastors and mission leaders from the United States, as well as friends from Eastern Europe. During our trip we met with church leaders and heard their stories, while also searching for ways to collaborate on training in theological education.

As you might expect, we were impressed with the commitment and character of the Uzbek church leaders we met. Several of these leaders had received a call to ministry from a local church, and soon realized the need for theological training.

I’m reluctant to respond to friends who are clergy in mainline denominations when they ask me of Baptist “requirements” for ordination. In the Baptist tradition, one needs simply a call from God and a call from a local church. It isn’t long, though, before the need for education and training is apparent to the newly called minister. The church leaders in Uzbekistan are no different. Pastors and church leaders travel great distances and put themselves and family members in danger in order to pursue the training necessary to live out their call effectively.

The major hurdle standing in the way of theological education and training is Uzbekistan’s ever-increasing intolerance of religious minorities and restriction on its citizens’ religious freedom. The Uzbek people with whom we met say the intolerance toward faith communities began in 2005 when the Uzbek government put down an uprising, led by religious extremists, in the Fergana Valley region of the country.

Since 2005, the Uzbek government has put limitations on government-registered Baptist churches as well as making it nearly impossible to register new churches. A group of church leaders told us of their attempt to register with the government. The attempt was futile and ended in frustration. Many churches are now operating without government authorization.

I must admit that, prior to my trip to Uzbekistan, I was skeptical of “underground churches” and the cloak-and-dagger style of mission. I had witnessed this style of mission used in manipulative ways by some mission organizations in order to invite support and sympathy. I’m grateful for the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship’s philosophy of working in the open, giving witness to church and government alike. However, visiting with my Uzbek brothers and sisters, I’ve now traveled to a place where the practice of the Christian faith really is dangerous and must be carried out with extreme caution.

Thankfully, it appears that the world is paying attention to the lack of religious liberty and freedom in Uzbekistan. The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom and the U.S. State Department have labeled Uzbekistan as a “country of particular concern” for its government’s violations of religious liberty. What remains to be seen is what can be done to provide religious freedom for all the Uzbek people, no matter their faith commitment.

Which brings me to the question, “What am I to do?”

A few months ago, Uzbekistan was just a faraway place on the map, with a people I did not know. Not anymore. The faith of the Uzbek people I met this summer helps me appreciate the religious freedom I take for granted here in the United States. Their faith inspires and challenges me to act on their behalf. I am telling the story of their courageous faith to whoever will listen. I invite friends to offer prayers for the Uzbek people and for the leaders of their government.

Finally, I am speaking with elected officials in the United States government, as well as world Baptist leaders, about Uzbekistan. How can we challenge the Uzbek government to live up to its constitutional provision for freedom of religion and the principle of separation of church and state?

I’ve been there. I must do something.

Source:abpnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment